Friday, August 7, 2009

The Diet, it's totally do-able!

All right so here is the skinny on the medical diet..... It isn't a bad diet at all!!! It is very simple to follow, there is a bit of measuring but nothing hard. To help me keep things straight I measure all the food out and pack it into individual servings as soon as I get home from the grocery store. This way if I am in a hurry I know if I grab a bag of carrots to eat on the road I know it is the right amount to be one serving. Meal planning is a big help when planning your day, if you make a plan and stick to it it will help you stay on track with your diet. I know if I don't plan out my meals I am more likely to 'just grab something quick" when I am hungry and the "Something quick" is usually not a healthy choice. I personally have to plan out my meals so I don't get a quick fix with junk food, lol!

Here is a short list of some of the things that are on the list of approved foods for the diet, there are more choices but too many to list, also there is portion size you have to follow, this is just a small example of what is on the diet this is NOT the full diet or guidelines:

STARCHES

Dry Cereal, Cooked Pasta, Diet Bread, Cooked Rice, Regular Bread, Bagel, Baked Potato, Roll, Saltine Crackers, Melba Toast, Pretzels

FRUIT

Apple, Orange, Peach, Apricots, Banana, Prunes, Cherries, Grapes, Strawberries, Grapefruit, Melon

VEGETABLES

Asparagus, Cucumber, Radish, Green Beans, Spinach, Broccoli, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Cabbage, Okra, Tomato, Carrots, Onions, Turnips, Cauliflower, Peppers, Zucchini

DAIRY

Skim Milk, 1% Milk, Low-fat Buttermilk, Reduced-fat Yogurt

MEAT

Turkey Breast, Veal, Chicken Breast, Center Cut Pork, Low-fat Lunch Meat, Canadian Bacon, Lean Beef: round, sirloin, tenderloin, roast, ground round, t-bone, Seafood: cod, flounder, trout, halibut, tuna in water, salmon, oysters, Cottage Cheese, Medium Egg, Egg Substitute, Low-fat Cheese

FATS

Margarine, Low-fat Dressing, Mayonnaise, Peanut Butter, Reduced-fat Mayo, Oil – Canola, Olive Oil

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that is the skinny on my diet, each Doctor will have his own dietitian and diet to follow so diets may vary but this is mine and a good example of what you can expect.






No comments:

Post a Comment