Friday, September 25, 2009

The Psychology of it

If you think WLS has no effect on your brain you are greatly mistaken my friend! One of the first changes I noticed with myself has been my thinking. Part of the psychology of it is you have to 'reprogram' your brain to accept this new way of life. In addition to relearning how to eat there are also great mental challenges you have to go through.

Right now I am mentally preparing for surgery and the more I think about it the more I discover new aspects of my life that this procedure is going to change. Aside from the physical and health changes I am going to through, I am also gaining self confidence and courage. I am really looking forward to the possibility of being able to discontinue all of my medications too!!!

As for courage, I have had small specs of courage come out already. I have been being a bit bold this week. Self confidence is peeking it's gorgeous head in my life lately too. I have been making lists of things I want to do when I am finally healthy and able bodied. Like what you ask... Like entering a dance contest, participating in a marathon and about a million more adventures I have always wanted to do but have been putting off because I am not confident enough to do.

Now more of my genuine personality has started coming to the service. I have had up a defensive wall up and have been a not so nice person at times all due my insecurities because of my weight. But anyone who really gets to know me knows that I am nice, kind, happy person and more of that side of me has been evident the past month.

It is amazing, I haven't even had the surgery yet or even lost very much weight but something in my brain just knows that I am on my way to it and has already started changing to adapt to the new me!!!

Don't get me wrong I do not think WLS is going to cure all of my problems but I do believe it is the first step in the right direction!

Well I think that will be all my rambling for right now. Look for more to come soon!

17 days till surgery WOOHOO, I am getting supper excited!!!!

Hugs,
Zee

No comments:

Post a Comment